Pages

Wednesday 23 May 2012

Perth, The Fair City

I'm going to tell you a story about a town...
Its name is Perth and it is the hearth of Scotland.
The name Perth means wood or corpse and you'll see later that it deserves its name.
Perth has been known as The Fair City since the publication of the story Fair Maid of Perth by Scottish writer Sir Walter Scott in 1828.
It has developed on the banks of the River Tay.
The Perth Old Bridge is also known as Smeaton's Bridge. Its construction began in 1766 and was completed in October 1771.
Years have passed, there were many floods but the bridge stood firm.

This is the Tay River's water.
This is the pedestrian High Street.
Let me introduce you the Fair Maid from High Street.
As you can see that is the Sandeman Public Library. I was wondering why there are so many teenagers and I found out that it was converted in a huge modern pub. It's the perfect place to sit, eat and drink and have a laugh with friends.
Don't worry about the library, there's a bigger one, the place where I am right now.




St. John's Kirk is the oldest and most historically-significant building. It was founded in 1126 but the majority of the present church was constructed between 1440 and 1500. Its role as a parish church continues even today.



There are beautiful streets, houses and churches.


St. Leonard's in the fields Church



Perth has lovely gardens:














And it is surrounded by amazing landscapes, woods and mountains.

Kinfauns Castle
Sights from Kinnoull Hill:







Perth represents the perfect place to find all that you can expect from great Scotland.

3 comments:

  1. excellent pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great memories there of my home city, I knew all the location accept the house. The little tower by the river, I sneaked into that when I was a kid, that tower / boathouse has always fascinated me all my life and if I win the lottery I want to by that property. Perth is a very beautiful city especially in the summertime. Great photos please put more on FB.

    ReplyDelete